Whether you’re a professional or a beginner, you can benefit greatly from joining a community of photographers.
#1. Network With Photographers on an International Level
Even if you don’t want to pursue
Receive Support From Other Photographers
Photography doesn’t have to be an isolated activity. In an online community, you can easily make new friends. These people can be a great support system to rely on, especially when you feel uninspired.
Even a simple post asking for feedback or encouragement can make a big difference. As a community member, you won’t be afraid of setbacks or obstacles. You’ll know that there’s a whole group of people ready to cheer you on, no matter what.
Collaborate With Talented Artists in the Community
Online communities are known for being international and diverse. You’ll find a photographer from every genre there!
Since there are so many talented users in a community, why not collaborate with them? You can work together virtually or meet up in real life. Some photographers go on field trips together. Others host workshops as a team. There are many creative ways to collaborate with artists who share your passion for
Online collaborations are very common. You can work with others by:
- Editing another user’s photos
- Creating a double exposure photo using different photographers’ images
- Using hundreds of pictures to create photo collages
- Creating an online video tutorial with another photographer
A successful collaboration can lead to more collaborations, job opportunities, and new friendships. It can also give others a clear idea of your skills as a photographer.
Get Exposure for Your Work
Photo sharing is an effective way to get exposure. You don’t need to promote yourself all the time. You can still get exposure by asking for feedback and participating in contests. When you join a community, make sure to introduce yourself and make a list of your interests. This will make it easier for you to find the right people to connect with.
Find Jobs by Networking With Others
(Make sure to read the community rules before you advertise any of your services or products. Some forums don’t allow it. Others are open to self-promotion. If it’s allowed, don’t be afraid to market your services. Make your skills very clear in your post!)
It’s important to note that communities shouldn’t just be used for self-promotion purposes. Avoid focusing on your own work all the time. The other members will sense it and it will reflect badly on you. When you promote your work, remember to support someone else’s. Join discussion forums and show the members that you’re interested in being an active member of the community.
#2. Receive Constructive Criticism From Professionals
If you want to master
Of course, it’s not all about receiving. If you have some
#3. Find Answers to Thousands of of
You can find all kinds of general discussions in online communities. Even within a single forum, there are many sub-forums that focus on specific niches. Some popular topics include:
- Post processing – you can learn how to edit pictures and share your own editing tricks with others.
- Camera gear – you can learn what camera equipment other photographers use. You can also ask questions about your own equipment and get recommendations from professionals.
- Photo galleries – many communities encourage members to share their work. You can find an abundance of inspiration just by admiring someone else’s portfolio.
- Q&A sessions – there are many sub-forums dedicated to answering simple and complex questions about
photography. Whether you’re into landscape photography, film photography, or any other genre, you’re likely to find something useful in one of these discussions.
Make sure to join a variety of active discussion boards to make the most of your experience as a community member. Even if there’s a genre you’re not familiar with, take the time to learn about it. You might discover a new passion or a new technique that could help you take better photos.
#4. Join Online
Photography Community Contests
One of the biggest perks of joining a
At PhotographyCourse.net, we announce a new competition every two weeks. The prize is 50 USD for every winning photo, which our members choose through a voting system. Our photo contests are completely free to join; all you need to do is become a member of our community!
Most contests have specific themes. Some are general, like portrait
Photography contests aren’t just about winning prizes, though. This is a chance to make new friends, experiment with new shooting techniques, and get to know your camera better.
#5. Find Inspiration in
Similar to contests,
Here are a few things you can expect to find in a
- Tips: Photo challenges are an opportunity for users to reap the benefits of leaving their comfort zone. It’s the community’s responsibility to share helpful tips and techniques that can help the members take amazing photos.
- Inspiring images: Most challenges come with reference photos. For example, if the theme is pet
photography, you can expect to see a great collection of pet photos to use as inspiration.
- Links to helpful resources: In some cases, a community might share resources (i.e. ebooks or graphics) to help you take great photos.
#6. Keep Up With the Latest
When you join a photo community, you won’t need to scour the Internet for
Want to create your own
In addition to learning about the latest news, you’ll get to keep up with the community’s exclusive products or services.
Our team at PhotographyCourse.net manages Great Big Photography World, a podcast that highlights talented photographers from around the world. In our
- A summary of the episode, including the most important topics that were discussed.
- Photography tips related to the theme of the podcast. In most cases, the tips are related to a specific genre. We’ve interviewed celebrity, underwater, portrait, landscape, and street photographers, just to name a few.
- A link to the episode, which you can access for free.
- The opportunity to share your feedback in the comments section and interact with the guests.
You’ll also find updates related to our
#7. Receive Exclusive Offers
You can expect to find a variety of exclusive deals and rewards in a
- Subscription deals. Depending on the community you join, you might get exclusive discounts for subscription-based services, such as photo editing programs.
- Product discounts. Many communities offer their own products and services at a discounted price to their members. Our PhotographyCourse.net team has a plethora of educational resources that we love sharing with our members. This includes courses, ebooks, and premium articles.
- Camera gear discounts. Some companies partner with communities to offer discounts on camera accessories, filters, and other gear.
- Free photo editing sessions. Do you want a professional photographer to edit your images? In some forums, you’ll be able to submit your photos for a chance to get a free edit and tips on how to improve your editing skills.
- Live Q&A sessions with professional photographers. If you join our 365 Days of Photography Course, you’ll be able to join monthly calls with our professional
photographyinstructor. The course comes with its own dedicated forum and is home to hundreds of educational videos.
photographyresources. As an exclusive member of a community, you might find free ebooks, guides, camera tricks, and video tutorials in a single forum.
- Giveaways. In addition to
photographycontests, many communities host giveaways. All you need to do is participate for a chance to win amazing prizes.
Collectively, these deals and resources can help you upgrade your camera gear, take your images to the next level, and improve as a photographer in general.
When you join an online
Our community at PhotographyCourse.net is open to every photographer, regardless of experience. We want to inspire you to create images, participate in discussions, and ask for advice.
If you’re ready to take your photos to the next level, join us today. All you need to do is register, introduce yourself, and check out our inspiring content. It’s completely free!