This free Digital Photography Course offers free photography lessons and tutorials ranging from the basics of digital camera, optics, lenses, photo editing, and more. Learn photography with any one of courses packed full of photography tips and advice, built for the novice and professional alike. This is the perfect place to learn photography and for those wanting to know more about digital photography.
Where to Start when Learning Photography
One of the biggest challenges most beginner photographers have is not knowing where to start. Newer cameras offer endless settings and the terminologies used by experienced photographers like ambient light, white balance, bokeh, and depth of field can be confusing to newbie’s. Chances are you have a good eye and you have a good idea of how your pictures should look, but they just aren’t coming out the way you wanted (or the way you envisioned they would).
Start with the Basics
Because your eyes constantly make everything APPEAR normal, you now need to learn how the cameras digital sensor and lenses record light, scenes, and color. Then, once you have that well ingrained and almost second nature, you need to learn how those different things render on digital cameras, online, and in print. Few of us realize how powerful the mind is in blocking out what we don’t want to see AND how well we automatically can correct bad lighting without even realizing it.
Until we learn those important lessons, we will not have the knowledge or skills to MAKE photographs the way WE want them.
You can spend a small fortune on courses that will get to the fun part right away. Courses that give you assignments to take photos you aren’t interested in and overwhelm you with a lot of hi-tech phrases. They’ll teach you how to talk the talk. HOWEVER, until you learn the basics your castle will be built on sand.
We have created a course that is simple and quick. It is designed to be easy-to-understand yet full of solid information. It will provide the basics YOU MUST learn, and then allow you to go off to any specific subject you have any interest in. Each of these special subjects will add more to the basics, offer photographs and other visual aids to illustrate the point, and pass on tips and tricks to help you.
Technology and Requirements
- Camera – any camera will do but we focus mostly on DSLR’s so that you can change the shutter speed and aperture settings. Learn more about DSLR Cameras
- Editing Software – software such as Adobe Lightroom, Adobe Photoshop, Gimp, Etc.
- Tripod – To help your camera focus better and so you don’t have to worry about shaking. See Tripod for more information on tripods
- Camera Lens – Most DSLR’s come with a kit lens of 18-55mm, this will work just fine. See Photographic Lenses to learn more about lenses.
- Memory Card Reader – to quickly and more efficiently move pictures from your camera to your computer.
We have a few tips that will immediately help you learn photography:
- Read the user manual for you camera!!!!
- Learn all of the available settings on your camera
- Have plenty of Memory Cards to take Lots of Shots
- Photograph what you love to Photograph
- Start with basic exposures and Focus on Composition
- Practice, practice, practice!!!