Photography is a beautiful art, there is no denying it. So, if you are a talented photographer, there is no reason to keep your photos to yourself. Instead, you should share them with the world. So, how about launching a proper photography blog then?
Hobbyists and professionals both can benefit from creating a photography blog. This is because a blog can help you expand your network, earn money through digital ads, affiliate marketing, guest posts, etc. The question is, how do you create one?
If you want to set up a top-notch photography blog, then just follow these steps:
1. Identify Your Goals
The Internet can provide you all the tools you need to create some of the most powerful and visually impressive websites. However, your efforts will go in vain unless you have clear goals. So, before you start comparing the best hosting services for photographers, be sure to ask yourself the following questions:
- Why do I need this blog?
- Who are the visitors (their age-group, location, lifestyle)?
- What kind of photos do I want to publish on the blog?
When your goals are clear, you can take the right approach for launching your photography blog and ensure that there are few revisions in the content later.
2. Take Care of the Basics
To launch any kind of website or blog, you need two things:
- Domain name
- Hosting service
Domain name is the name of your blog which has the format: www.YourBlogName.com. Note that the TLD here is “.com” even though there are many other options you can choose viz. .net, .org, .biz. The thing is that .com has become more of a norm and recognized by most people. So, it’s better to stick with that only.
The name of your blog is something you should pick carefully. You want it to be as creative and interesting as possible. Some examples include the following:
Unique blog names are easy to remember, and they can also help you create a brand rather than a generic business/blog.
Another thing you need, as mentioned above, is a hosting service. Market leaders like Hostgator and GoDaddy offer these services that allow you to set up and customize your website. You can compare the top options and pick the one that’s most affordable and secure, and offers the tools you need.
3. Install WordPress
WordPress is one of the most popular content management systems (CMSs) in the world. You can use it to create and customize your blog as per your requirements. Most web hosting providers allow for easy installation of WordPress software on your server so that you can get started right away.
You can find the WordPress program in the cPanel of the web hosting dashboard and install it on the system just like any other software. You can then create a new account or use an existing one to get started. The service offers hundreds of themes to choose from so that you can pick the one that’s suitable for your blog, and then publish your first post. You will find enough tools for personalization as well.
4. Brand Your Blog
There are thousands of photography blogs on the Internet. So, if you want to stand out and make your blog popular, then you must work on its branding.
Since the logo is one of the most important components of a brand, you need to create a unique one for yourself. You can either contact a professional graphic designer in your city or online (on platforms like freelancer.com, upwork.com, etc.) or you can create it yourself as well online photography logo designer which is an affordable and easily accessible solution. Either way, keep the following points in mind:
- Avoid using clichéd ideas like using camera icon, lens icon, etc. in the logo. Try to be original and less obvious
- Pick the fonts and colors carefully as both come with certain psychological attributes
- Don’t use more than 3 colors in the logo
- Try to keep the logo simple but creative
5. Add Key Pages
The following are some of the website pages that every photography website should have:
- Homepage: This is the face of your blog where you can highlight your best photography, posts, and other interesting details.
- Gallery: Since yours is a photography blog, there has to be a Gallery page where your visitors can see your best snapshots. It’s better if you can add different sections on top for different kinds of photos: nature, candid, portraits, abstract, etc.
- Portfolio: If one of your main objectives for the blog is to acquire more clients, then you must create a portfolio as well. Here you can showcase some of your best works.
- About Me: This is a page where you can introduce yourself. You can share details like your hobbies and interests, and your professional background which can include the kind of projects that you have worked on in the past and your photography style.
- Contact Me: Share as many contact details as possible so that your potential customers/clients have no problem in approaching you. You can share your office address, phone numbers, email address, and also the links to your social media handles (especially Instagram which is the best platform for photographers).
6. Don’t Forget Marketing
Even if you are setting up a photography blog purely for pleasure, you want as many visitors on the blog as possible. So, be sure to make it more visible through different kinds of digital marketing techniques that include the following:
- SEO: Search Engine Optimization refers to the techniques that are used to make your blog more visible in the search results when a user searches for information with keywords or phrases that are relevant to your blog, such as “photography tips for beginners”, “professional photographer in YourArea.”
- Social Media Marketing: Instagram is one of the best social media platforms for photographers and you can yourself use it to grow your network and contact other photographers. You can also use the platform to share your latest photos to attract new clients and followers.
- Blogging: Apart from sharing new photos on your blog, you should also write informative and interesting posts on topics like tutorials, tips, travel photography, food photography, etc. This kind of content can help you increase the organic traffic on your blog.
There are many photography blogs on the Internet that are doing really well and have become an inspiration for others. These include Feature Shoot, PhotoFocus, Sprouting Photographer, etc. However, to achieve the kind of success that these blogs have achieved, you need to have a lot of patience and also the willingness to put in the work it demands. So, when you are starting out, learn as much you can, and update the blog on a regular basis to get the results as quickly as possible. Good luck!